Close to 70 tech developers came together at Makerere University to attend the World bank water hackathon global event. 7 problems were solved out of a possible 16 pitched. Below are the winners and projects.
DEWS: Overall Best App and Audience favourite
DEWS (Disaster, Environment, Water and Sanitation) is a tool that crowd sources all the water related problems around water and visualizes them and gives communities a voice.
- URL: http://dewsapp.appspot.com
- Facebook: DEWS
- Team: Mukasa Roy (Project manager), Lutalo Joseph, Sanya Duncan, Shafik Kawuma, Muranga James, Caesar Mukama, Odeke Sam
Mazzi Trendz: Best Mobile App
Mazzi Trendz is an android mobile tool to help consumers visualize their water usage over time. It helps us keep track of water usage in check regarding how we spend.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MazziTrendz
- Twitter: @MazziTrendz
- Team: Katusiime Lisa (project manager), Odongo Duke Daniel, Afimani Deogratious, Matovu Kenneth, Arigye Joreen, Opio Emmanuel, Muhatsi Shafffic, Engotoit Bernard, Allan Wambi, Abdu Hanan Ssekalala, Mugume Davis Arthur, Muhebwa Aggrey, Kisitu Augustine, Gerald Odur
Other Solutions developed:
Loopa is an eco visualizing tool that enable the community to crowd source pollution reports in one's area and visualize it. This will enable create awareness on water pollution hotspots and thus drive the need for action.
- URL: http://wedcomuganda.com/loopa/
- Facebook: Loopa
- Team: Kabanda Nelson (project Manager), Nambasa Jamillah, Mugisha Stanley, Weere Anthony, Joshua Okello, Nabbunga Ashraf, Kiyemba Francis, Kyamaggwa Ibrahim, Joseph Balikkuddemba, Aodu Gideon
This app is a dashboard to the consumer who uses the Uganda National Water and Sewage Corporation infrastructure. It enables the consumer report NWSC water related problems and get the nearest NWSC staff member available in the area to attend to the problem. This app is meant to improve response times to NWSC related problems.
- Facebook: WaterFix
- Team: Acellam Guy (project manager), Andrew Mugalu, Katamba Ronald, Odongo Ivan, Ssempijja Frank, Henry Tebajjukira, Namanya Hillary
Wash (Water, Sanitation and Health) is a crowd funding and geo visualisation app that helps communities report Water, Sanitation and Health related problems and fundraise for them using Mobile Money, other payment systems
- URL: www.washreporter.com
- Facebook: Wash reporter
- Team: Ephraim Batambuze, Amutorine Moryn, Nakyanzi Lynnie, Bazanye Viola, Victor Ollieny, Bisaso Frederick, Daniel Nanghaka (project manager)
Map the crap:
This app provides visualizations of latrines that need emptying, thus saving cess pool emptiers many rounds in one area. It will also identify hotspots were crap is being dumped and needs to be removed.
- URL: http://mapthecrap.freezoka.net/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mapthecrap
- Team: Nkurunungi Francis (Project manager), Nzame Boris, Ayebare Racheal, Remo Samuel Paul, Harold Turyasingura, Ssengozi Julius, Andrew Mukiza, Atuhaire Alex, Sekabira Yasin, Waliaula Anthony, Ndeda Peter, Ochola Jacob
An android water awareness game called water crusaders, creating awareness around water related problems like sewage disposal in wetlands.
- Facebook: WaterCrusaders
- Team: Kimbowa John Wamala, Wasswa Samuel, Jacob Muhire, Twesigomwe Fred, Ndahio Henry, Ochora Dennis Reagan, Kawuki Francis, Ampaire Christine (Project manager)
Thanks to all the participants and our local sponsors MTN Uganda and Ugo